How easy are Disus to keep

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How easy are Disus to keep

Post by fishman256 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 am

Hello,

I am looking to change my stock in the new year and are quite taken with a large shoal of cardinals, a group of clown loaches and some discus. I do not have access to RO water and I would like to know how difficult they are to keep and would just using tap water would be suffecient.

My tank in 48"x12"x15".

Alternatively I could use angelfish, but I would like to try some discus.

Thank you in advance.

fishman256
Fry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How easy are Disus to keep

Post by matt123 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:48 am

hi ya
RO water is only really important if you want to keep wild or as close to fish, if you were to make sure that the fish you are getting are from a line of tank bred fish then water of equal to the shops water will suffice.
ive kept tank bred varieties in a well established aquarium with 1 weekly 20% water change and they thrived !

good luck ! thy are definately worth the extra water changes and will look stunning in a well kept aquarium Smile

1x gibby 2x com plec 1x Green terror 1x blue acara 1x marble angel 1x ID shark 2x lemon fin barb 6x silver dollar/ red hook 2x green serverum 4x blood parrot 3x pictus cats 1x cherax quad 2x waroo 2x black ghost knife 1x delhezi poly 1x oscar 1x ABF 2x G barb 1x American puffer 1x labeo bicolour 1x blue gourami... Shoals of neons, tiger barbs, killifish, black skirts, Guppys, Mollys and lots of cory cats !! oh and a colony of red clawed crabs Smile
matt123
Tinfoil barb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasMinxsta on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 am

If you get young discus, you will need to do a fair few water changes weekly, or else they can become stunted, Im guessing that tank is about 40g? Each discus will require 10g minimum each, so 4 would be your maximum, although correct me on the gallonage, but you get the idea, 1 per 10g.

Do you know the ph of your tank and tap water?
TexasMinxsta
Tinfoil barb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishman256 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:28 pm

Hello,

The tank is just 31 gallons. This would make discus out of the question for this tank. Mabe in the future Laughing

fishman256
Fry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matt123 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:07 pm

unfortunately so Sad but theres still plenty of cool fish out there that would be fine in tat tank ! south american puffers spring to mind Razz awesome personality and intelegent but stay nice and small Smile

1x gibby 2x com plec 1x Green terror 1x blue acara 1x marble angel 1x ID shark 2x lemon fin barb 6x silver dollar/ red hook 2x green serverum 4x blood parrot 3x pictus cats 1x cherax quad 2x waroo 2x black ghost knife 1x delhezi poly 1x oscar 1x ABF 2x G barb 1x American puffer 1x labeo bicolour 1x blue gourami... Shoals of neons, tiger barbs, killifish, black skirts, Guppys, Mollys and lots of cory cats !! oh and a colony of red clawed crabs Smile
matt123
Tinfoil barb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top